EU energy efficiency directive


How can companies ensure compliance with the EU energy efficiency directive, and how frequently do companies need to update their compliance records?


I guess it depends on the country and compliancy. For example, If your organisation is in the UK and qualifies for ESOS (Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme) and your organisation is fully covered by ISO 50001 then you don’t need to carry out an ESOS assessment. You just need to notify the Environment Agency that you are compliant with ESOS.

If you qualify for ESOS, but your organisation is not fully covered by ISO 50001, you need to carry out an ESOS assessment. The assessment helps you work out what your organisation needs to do to comply with the ESOS regulations.

The assessment takes into account energy directly covered by Display Energy Certificates (DECs), Green Deal Assessments (GDAs), or ISO 50001.

For your assessment, you need to:

1. Measure and Calculate your total energy consumption
This is the energy used by assets held or activities carried out by your organisation or group. This includes the energy consumed by buildings, industrial processes and transport. To find out how to calculate your total energy consumption read the full ESOS guidance.

2. Identify your areas of significant energy consumption
This is the energy used by assets held, or activities carried out, by your organisation that account for at least 90% of your total energy consumption.

You then need to:

  • Find out whether ISO 50001, DECs or GDAs cover any of your areas of significant energy consumption.
  • Identify whether ESOS compliant energy audits have been, or need to be, carried out for the areas of significant energy consumption not covered by ISO 50001, DECs or GDAs.
  • As long as 90% of your total energy consumption is covered, you can use a mix of approaches with some of your energy consumption covered by ISO 50001; some by DECs or GDAs and some by ESOS energy audits.

3. Appoint a lead assessor
You need to appoint a lead assessor to carry out and oversee or review your energy audits and overall ESOS assessment. Lead assessors can be employees or external contractors as long as they are members of an approved professional body register.

If you want to become a lead assessor you have to be (or become) a member of an approved professional body register. Individuals can’t apply directly to the Environment Agency to be approved.

Professional bodies can submit registers of their members for approval for them to act as ESOS lead assessors.

4. Notify the Environment Agency
You need to submit your ESOS notification of compliance to the Environment Agency when you have undertaken an ESOS assessment and are compliant with your obligations.

The notification deadline was 5 December 2015 for the first cycle and every 4 years after wards. If you missed the deadline then submit your notification as soon as possible.

5. Keep records
You need to keep records of how you have complied with ESOS in an evidence pack. There is no set format for this.

Submit your ESOS notification of compliance.


The measurement has to be in a way that it makes the meter work properly and the user needs to connect the meter to the system to have the notification of the module.

outlook 0x8004010f